Interviewing at Literati
We understand interviewing can be stressful; we’ve all been here.
We put together this guide as a resource for what you can expect from the interview process at Literati and how to best prepare. We’ve aimed to cover anything that may be on your mind, and we are here to help, so if you have any questions, please ask!
At Literati, our process is designed to be transparent, efficient, fair, and meaningful for all candidates. We should add that interviewing is a two-way street and encourage curiosity in our daily work at Literati and our interview process. We want you to have the opportunity to evaluate us just as much as we are interviewing you, and we have built-in steps to ensure you can.
General Interviewing Advice
- 🤓 Familiarize yourself with the job description. We spend a lot of time ensuring our job descriptions accurately reflect what you can expect in a role and what we expect from someone on our team. Call it out if you read something that truly spoke to you in our job description! We want to know why you think this could be a great match.
- 🤫 Find a quiet space free from distractions. Most of our interviews take place over the phone or via video. Although we will always do our best to accommodate your preferences around busy work and life schedules, we want to ensure we have your undivided attention. Nothing derails the flow of an interview more than constant noise or interruptions.
- 📚 Do your homework and come prepared. We’ll always let you know who you’ll be interviewing with, so look them up on LinkedIn. Make sure you know what Literati does and why we do it. Most importantly, familiarize yourself with our values to determine if this sounds like a culture you genuinely connect with.
- ⭐ Use the STAR method. This interview technique gives you a straightforward format to tell a story by laying out the Situation, Task, Action, and Result.
- Situation: Set the scene and give the necessary details of your example.
- Task: Describe what your responsibility was in that situation.
- Action: Explain precisely what steps you took to address it.
- Result: Share what outcomes your actions achieved.
- 👂Actively listen before responding. Our interview questions are designed to make you think, and if we need to clarify a question or if you need a moment to think, say so! With only a limited amount of time in every interview, we want to get to the heart of who you are professionally, so leave the fluff at home, ask clarifying questions, and respond thoughtfully (remember the STAR method!).
- 🎯 Be succinct, focusing on depth over breadth. We’d rather dig deep on a few core topics critical to a role than review every detail of your past. Be mindful of time, answer the question succinctly, and follow the interviewers’ guidance on where to go next. We ultimately want to know about the impact you’ve made, not just your day-to-day responsibilities. If we interrupt you during a response, it’s to help you stay on track and focus on the essential parts of what we need to learn.
- 🤔 Come with questions. We’re a curious bunch, and we want people who are equally passionate about learning. Moreover, this is a two-way street, and we want you to interview us too! Prepare questions beforehand, and don’t be afraid to ask hard questions. The more you make us think with your questions, the more excited we’ll be at the prospect of what we can learn from you!